Thursday, May 14, 2009


Sometimes the journey on a bus can be a game of musical chairs.

Who says Singaporeans aren't a gracious lot? I was on my way home and found a seat in the bus. Then there was this frail-looking emanciated old man who boarded the bus at the next stop; instinctively, I gave up my seat so that he wouldn't fall and break his brittle bones. At the subsequent stops, more senior citizens, parents with kids, and pregnant women boarded the bus. Soon everyone started giving up their seats and it became somewhat comical. And then it started to piss me off.

Lady who gave up her seat: "You can have the seat"

Father of a toddler: "No, it's ok you can take the seat. Thx."

"No, no, please sit down."

[Shakes head and smiles]

[Lady refuses to sit down and looks away]

I was like.. Fuck. just take the God damn seat la. They were holding up the line of passengers who were waiting to board the bus cos the bus was extremely crowded; yet they had to pull such a stunt. Seriously, what a joke.

I mean it's gd to give up your seat to someone who needs it more but if he refuses, then don't bother. Why hold up the entire bus and put yourself in such a bad light. I really don't understand.

I say stop this "graciousness" cos you need it more than others.

No, i'm kidding.